• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kraemer

Kraemer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hi shooters,  I'm debating between the 5d3 and Nikon d600 for my next cam.

Was wondering if the 5D3 has any aliasing or moire artifacts? 

The Nikon D600 certainly does, but if the Canon also has similar issues (other than being soft) then no sense switching all my glass over to canon.  I do know about Magic lantern, and wondering if the image could be sharpened thru ML?

Any thoughts on this?  I know a dedicated video camera such as the PMW-200 or XF300 would be better for video, but I need a dual purpose unit, thanks all!

#2 Zach

Zach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

The 5d3 does not suffer from aliasing or moire. It is criticized for being soft, though it can be sharpened fairly well in post with ease. 

#3 Kraemer

Kraemer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

Thanks Zach, I appreciate your feedback.  Ya, I agree the 5d3 is called soft, would the MK2 be any sharper do you think? 

I'm a post production editor and really would like to avoid fiddling with the image.   In the nikon world I think I'd have to fuzz out

all the moire and aliasing with a motion mask--that would really be a drag...

#4 Zach

Zach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

I can't comment on if its sharper since I haven't used it, but there is aliasing all over the MK2 footage. I think they are about the same in relative terms of sharpness from what I've heard many others say

#5 sanveer

sanveer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationTravelling

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

The Mark iii resolves more lines, and has almost no moire or aliasing. Why would you prefer the Mark ii, over it. Especially, if you are a post production editor.

#6 Kraemer

Kraemer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

I'm not looking at the M2, but just wanted to see if I could save some $ by getting it instead of M3. 

Looking into the features of ML (very cool)  and Also looking at nikon's D800 and D600.

#7 Zach

Zach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

Nice price drop the other day on the 5d3 on amazon. You can get it for only $2,999 now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users