Switronix PB70 BMCC external battery review

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[url="http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/switronix-pb70-blackmagic-2.jpg"][img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/switronix-pb70-blackmagic-2.jpg[/img][/url]

[url="http://www.adorama.com/1/1/164096-switronix-powerbase-70-battery-pack-pb70-bmcc.html?KBID=66885"]You can find the Switronix PB70 for Blackmagic Cinema Camera at Adorama for $299[/url]

When the Blackmagic Cinema Camera was announced at NAB many DSLR users were quite concerned by the lack of interchangeable battery and the short 1 hour run time on one charge.

In practical reality it is one of the best features.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Thanks for the review Andrew, you're really on fire with this wave of valuable content lately, keep it up!

Agree on the internal battery, it's like a laptop plugged into a wall socket, no need to worry when plugged out accidentally.

By the way, is this battery suitable for powering my GH2, or do you recommend other power solutions?

• Administrators
BMCC is 12-30v. GH2 is more critical and narrow when it comes to voltage and I don't know what professional external batteries can be used with it if any. There are some DIY options I've heard of over the year but I've not tried any of them. At least interchangeable GH2 batteries are very small and light to carry.

BMCC is 12-30v. GH2 is more critical and narrow when it comes to voltage and I don't know what professional external batteries can be used with it if any. There are some DIY options I've heard of over the year but I've not tried any of them. At least interchangeable GH2 batteries are very small and light to carry.

i bought a plug in adapter on Amazon for my GH2 in April. A little ghetto seeing as it's a Gh2 battery with a cord hanging out of its ass. the battery door still closes though, and the cord can disconnect about 3 inches away from the camera to the other half that plugs into the wall. i was thinking about getting an external battery like the Switronix to add some productive mass to that little bastard. Even with a Voigtlander on the front, I have had no luck getting a proper balance on any steadicam. it's too light. So aside from taping a dumbell to the cheese plate, if the adapter works, maybe this could work.

Way off track, sorry.

• 4 months later...

Hey Andrew, how do you use the PB70 with your ReWo rig? Is it possible to remove the rails mount on the bottom of the ReWo and mount the PB70 instead of the Energizer battery? I love that rig but not a fan of the energizer batteries. Also, have you considered using Tilta handles or Movcam handles with the start/stop button built in on your Rewo? Love this rig but there are a few things holding me back from making the purchase right now.