Hawk go spherical in a big way with F0.95 / T1 Vantage One creative cinema lens range

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[url="http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/FDTimes-VantageOne_coated_uncoated.jpg"][img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/FDTimes-VantageOne_coated_uncoated.jpg[/img][/url]

These look like they're going to be a great rental option for creative filmmakers looking for that dreamy low light look. Hawk, famous for their anamorphic lenses have launched a new range of standard spherical cine glass. The aperture is F0.95 following in the footsteps of Voigtlander with their 25mm and 17.5mm for Micro Four Thirds.

However Hawk have gone all out and done a massive range, and what is more these cover Super 35mm in PL mount. There's not only a 17.5mm and a 25mm but a 21, 25, 32, 40, 50, 65, 90 and a 120.

I also highly recommend the SLR Magic T0.95 50mm for those with low light kings such as the Sony FS100. Leica M easily adapts to E-Mount. The Hawks however are PL so you can use them on the other low light king, the Canon C300.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I'm sure I'll be renting these if they become reasonably accessible. This spring, I shot a short on old Zeiss SuperSpeeds, and just loved them. Even threw them on the GH2 for a few minutes just for fun, although for the short we used an FS100. I imagine these new Hawks as a sort of updated SuperSpeed. Dreamy of course wide open, but the extra 0.3 over the 'ol Zeiss stuff will sure make a difference. +1 for lenses with character. Shooting in low light seems to instantly add a bucket of cinematic cred for some reason.