Panasonic GH3 - my short test "Civilian"

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1353986334' post='22385']
I don't agree. Highest usable ISO is 3200. What other DSLRs do better for 2012? Only two spring to mind - 5D Mark III and 1D X. Both a LOT more expensive than the GH3. And in low light you need to stop the lens right down on those if you want manageable focus.

Needing more than ISO 1600 or 3200 at F0.95 in low light is rare.

As for tight spaces, I assume you're talking about shooting actors with the camera rammed up their noses. For that you will indeed be better off with a 50mm on a 5D Mark III rather than 50mm on the GH2. Oh I forgot - maybe use a 25mm!??
[/quote]

I saw this video on Vimeo the day before, and I was quite impressed, with the detail, in the GH3, at ISO 1600 and 3200. Also, the GH2 had far too much noise, at ISO 3200. Also, that famous green tinge, was not there, anymore.

Incidentally, this guy has shot this test video, at f2.0, on the 20mm f1.7 panny lens.

These are the urls:
(The Vimeo Video)
http://vimeo.com/54325211

(this guy's own blog)
http://www.hybridcams.fr/2012/11/27/panasonic-lumix-gh3-le-test/

ISO Testing:
At 1600
(GH3)
http://www.hybridcams.fr/wp-content/uploads/1600%20ISO_GH3.jpg
(GH2)
http://www.hybridcams.fr/wp-content/uploads/1600%20ISO_GH2.jpg

At 3200
(GH3)
http://www.hybridcams.fr/wp-content/uploads/3200%20ISO_GH3.jpg
(GH2)
http://www.hybridcams.fr/wp-content/uploads/3200%20ISO_GH2.jpg

One thing, though, I noticed, is, that, that, the colours in (AutoWhiteBalance) the GH3 leans towards magenta, and the GH2, towards green. Also, that strange flare, in very high contrast areas, still exists. You can check the windows and street lights, for this, in the video.

In that ISO test video, you can see a lot more detail and less compression noise with the GH3. The tree branches are more defined. But I'd like to know how a hacked GH2 would compare. I know it'll be close, but I do agree with the colors too. GH2 is too clinical and that make sense with the green hue. I think the GH3 going towards magenta is good, comes close to what Canon does which I like a lot. I wish they would do a test with people. I think Philip Bloom did an ISO test in a bar for the D800 or D4? That was a great test to see how skin tones look at insane ISOs. In any case, good video and I look forward to the GH3 soon!

^^You can see more details because from the screenshot posted in the link GH3 is brighter maybe due to magenta. To me noise looks the same. To compare cameras ISOs this guy should wb it properly imho. It's not a good ISO test when u set it to auto a let the camera do the magic.

• Administrators
[quote name='/p/' timestamp='1354024283' post='22436']
What exactly is the fascination of a FF GH3? Seems unnecessary.. If Panasonic decide to increase the size of the sensor it should be to S35 not 35mm FF............... Why drastically increase the price for near to no benefit whatsoever? Just look at what the BMCC does with an even smaller sensor............................ Tell me again why Panasonic should make a 35mm FF camera?
[/quote]

Marketing. There's no way they can compete with Canon when all the dummies out there are obsessed with sensor size with their 'bigger is better' mentality.

[quote name='nahua' timestamp='1354092383' post='22507'] In that ISO test video, you can see a lot more detail and less compression noise with the GH3. The tree branches are more defined. But I'd like to know how a hacked GH2 would compare. I know it'll be close, but I do agree with the colors too. GH2 is too clinical and that make sense with the green hue. I think the GH3 going towards magenta is good, comes close to what Canon does which I like a lot. I wish they would do a test with people. I think Philip Bloom did an ISO test in a bar for the D800 or D4? That was a great test to see how skin tones look at insane ISOs. In any case, good video and I look forward to the GH3 soon! [/quote]

I think, maybe the GH3 pushes 4-2-0, as far as it can go. I am guessing, that, this is pretty close to 4-2-2.

[quote name='tomekk' timestamp='1354096764' post='22512'] ^^You can see more details because from the screenshot posted in the link GH3 is brighter maybe due to magenta. To me noise looks the same. To compare cameras ISOs this guy should wb it properly imho. It's not a good ISO test when u set it to auto a let the camera do the magic. [/quote]

Tom, you need a New monitor. I am guessing, that, you cannot notice the level of detail, either because your monitor's resolution isn't too much, or (which is more likely) you need glasses, and, you are not aware of it.

Please look at the window grills, and the curtains, and the details on the trees and leaves.

• Administrators
[quote name='blazer003' timestamp='1354078800' post='22500']
I couldn't past the first 8 seconds of the video. That is horrible image quality! Needs to be hacked...

;)
[/quote]

Welcome to the forum.

I'm glad you think filmmaking is all about sharpness and image quality. One more person I don't need to pay very much attention to.

[quote name='sanveer' timestamp='1354113498' post='22524']
I think, maybe the GH3 pushes 4-2-0, as far as it can go. I am guessing, that, this is pretty close to 4-2-2.

Tom, you need a New monitor. I am guessing, that, you cannot notice the level of detail, either because your monitor's resolution isn't too much, or (which is more likely) you need glasses, and, you are not aware of it.

Please look at the window grills, and the curtains, and the details on the trees and leaves.
[/quote]

well maybe, didnt think of it. I'm on the road with laptop. Still I think WB should be the same if u want accurate comparison, no?

[quote name='tomekk' timestamp='1354114092' post='22529']
well maybe, didnt think of it. I'm on the road with laptop. Still I think WB should be the same if u want accurate comparison, no?
[/quote]

I Agree, that the video should have been whitebalanced to get exact perspective. But, I am saying, that, if you put that aside, you will realise a noticeable improvement in video resolution and detail. And, considering, that, it is the GH2, that, it is beating, its a Big Deal

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1354113714' post='22527']
Welcome to the forum.

I'm glad you think filmmaking is all about sharpness and image quality. One more person I don't need to pay very much attention to.
[/quote]

Andrew, he was just kidding (I think). The first 8 seconds of the video is the very lo-fi looking shot in the mirror, and I believe thats what he was playing at

Great Review. With your permission, I'll link to it on my facebook Panasonic GH3 group page.
Some items to consider:[list=1]
[*]OLED screens are so lovely but I wonder if you happen to know of references that talk about MTF of the color LUT on these panels? I've been reading some pretty disturbing reports of OLED Samsung screens changing colors dramatically in as little time as one year.
[*]If you want to own and properly coin the term "Digital Degradation", allow me to suggest that you do so immediately in Wikipedia with a link out reference to this very review. You might want to note the disambiguation to > Generational Degradation, which while different, is also derived from digital imaging.
[*]Most footage ( including some of your own prior comparison footage) from the GH3, seems +5 too Yellow in overall cast. Why haven't more people complained about this? Given that the color space is 4:2:0 post color correction should be annoyingly difficult on the GH3. Finally.....
[*]I disagree about Panasonic releasing a full-frame mirrorless, as I put far more stock in S35 sensors for the future of small form factor film making than full frame. My reasoning is that the combination of bokeh and moderated lens bulk , should be better in S35 than in Full Frame.
-------Zephyrnoid
[/list]

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1354113482' post='22523']
Marketing. There's no way they can compete with Canon when all the dummies out there are obsessed with sensor size with their 'bigger is better' mentality.
[/quote]
In my business, Appologism is a cardinal sin (I'm a human factors professional). The Full-frame obsession is crumbling already. For location and ,multicam work, it will die soon.
For compact form-factor S35 or nearly that, should be the sweet spot. You'll see ;)

• Administrators
There are some technical advantages of full frame in terms of image quality. Of course resolution is one of them, and maintaining resolution along with better low light and dynamic range. We certainly don't need any more 22MP or 36MP full frame sensors for video though. 10MP is optimal.

[quote name='AaronChicago' timestamp='1354147072' post='22582']
Can anyone comment on the iPad monitoring option that was mentioned in sept? Havent been able to find an answer , if its possible.
[/quote]

I believe its addressed in another thread. Maybe the stained glass one? they demonstrate it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQFV1Ve8mQI

Andrew I like your video but why are the heads 'squished' ..... only kidding.

Really like this film. It's lovely and dreamy with beautiful colours.
The music suits it to a T
I like the slowmo element a lot.
It all works so well.

Have you ever seen
[url="https://vimeo.com/6344564"]https://vimeo.com/6344564[/url]
I know it's 'nasty' video but the slowmotion is so mesmerising and the music works so so well.

Regards,

Matt

• 2 months later...