Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panasonic GH3 - my short test "Civilian"

61 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1354113714' post='22527']
Welcome to the forum.

I'm glad you think filmmaking is all about sharpness and image quality. One more person I don't need to pay very much attention to.
[/quote]

Andrew, he was just kidding (I think). The first 8 seconds of the video is the very lo-fi looking shot in the mirror, and I believe thats what he was playing at

Posted · Report post

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1354113714' post='22527']
Welcome to the forum.

I'm glad you think filmmaking is all about sharpness and image quality. One more person I don't need to pay very much attention to.
[/quote]

I think he was being sarcastic.

Posted · Report post

Great Review. With your permission, I'll link to it on my facebook Panasonic GH3 group page.
Some items to consider:[list=1]
[*]OLED screens are so lovely but I wonder if you happen to know of references that talk about MTF of the color LUT on these panels? I've been reading some pretty disturbing reports of OLED Samsung screens changing colors dramatically in as little time as one year.
[*]If you want to own and properly coin the term "Digital Degradation", allow me to suggest that you do so immediately in Wikipedia with a link out reference to this very review. You might want to note the disambiguation to > Generational Degradation, which while different, is also derived from digital imaging.
[*]Most footage ( including some of your own prior comparison footage) from the GH3, seems +5 too Yellow in overall cast. Why haven't more people complained about this? Given that the color space is 4:2:0 post color correction should be annoyingly difficult on the GH3. Finally.....
[*]I disagree about Panasonic releasing a full-frame mirrorless, as I put far more stock in S35 sensors for the future of small form factor film making than full frame. My reasoning is that the combination of bokeh and moderated lens bulk , should be better in S35 than in Full Frame.
-------Zephyrnoid
[/list]

Posted · Report post

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1354113482' post='22523']
Marketing. There's no way they can compete with Canon when all the dummies out there are obsessed with sensor size with their 'bigger is better' mentality.
[/quote]
In my business, Appologism is a cardinal sin (I'm a human factors professional). The Full-frame obsession is crumbling already. For location and ,multicam work, it will die soon.
For compact form-factor S35 or nearly that, should be the sweet spot. You'll see ;)

Posted · Report post

There are some technical advantages of full frame in terms of image quality. Of course resolution is one of them, and maintaining resolution along with better low light and dynamic range. We certainly don't need any more 22MP or 36MP full frame sensors for video though. 10MP is optimal.
zephyrnoid likes this

Posted · Report post

Can anyone comment on the iPad monitoring option that was mentioned in sept? Havent been able to find an answer , if its possible.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='AaronChicago' timestamp='1354147072' post='22582']
Can anyone comment on the iPad monitoring option that was mentioned in sept? Havent been able to find an answer , if its possible.
[/quote]

I believe its addressed in another thread. Maybe the stained glass one? they demonstrate it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQFV1Ve8mQI

Posted · Report post

Andrew I like your video but why are the heads 'squished' ..... only kidding.

Really like this film. It's lovely and dreamy with beautiful colours.
The music suits it to a T
I like the slowmo element a lot.
It all works so well.

Have you ever seen
[url="https://vimeo.com/6344564"]https://vimeo.com/6344564[/url]
I know it's 'nasty' video but the slowmotion is so mesmerising and the music works so so well.

Regards,

Matt

Posted · Report post

Heads are squished!!? OH GOD NO!!

Glad you liked it Matt. Slow-mo is nice to have on the GH3. I think rolling shutter is almost at FS100 level with it. That is to say - very very good!
zephyrnoid likes this

Posted · Report post

I *really* like how you did 'Zen' ... sorry if i missed it, but what lens(es) did you use for that shoot?

Cheers.

Posted · Report post

Zen was the Isco CentaVision 2x anamorphic, which is basically a 2x stretch version of the normal Iscorama. The 2x anamorphic gives you the most dramatic anamorphic look but a very wide aspect ratio from a 16:9 camera. The prime lens was cheap $20 Helios 44-M 58mm F2.0, mostly stopped down to F5.6 for extra sharpness.

Plenty more info in my book if you want to get started on the anamorphic stuff.

http://www.eoshd.com/anamorphic-guide

Tarantino shot Django Unchained in anamorphic and it looks superb.