The EOSHD Blackmagic Cinema Camera Shootout

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

http://vimeo.com/53821829

In a joint shootout with Slashcam in Berlin, EOSHD put the Blackmagic Cinema Camera into a bear pit against all rivalling cameras between $500 and $4000.

It was a clear day and the results are just as stark. Here's my verdict on which camera you should buy - based purely on image quality.

The following cameras are in this test:

• Blackmagic Cinema Camera (retail)
  • Panasonic GH3 (pre-production v0.5)
  • Panasonic GH2 (hacked)
  • Sony FS100
  • Canon 5D Mark III
  • Sony NEX VG-900 (full frame E-mount camcorder)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Andrew. I'm hugely greatful for you doing all this - and an avid reader/viewer of your work - but please shoot some humans next time - preferably in close-up. For most of us it is how the cameras handle skin and eyes that will make or break our careers. Even if it were just you or Slashcam standing there for a shot or two...

I just shot a short on the FS700 - and generally found it videowy. Feel free to share it if you want: vimeo.com/53171913

Wow, I'm really impressed by all the work you put into this. It's just a matter of time before 12-bit RAW becomes as popular a look as full-frame did a few years ago, and prosumers will be clamoring for more camera options. I also hope we see new super-fast and compact lenses developed to take advantage of the crop factor of the BMCC. It would be great to have a kit of smaller, lighter primes and zooms that only cover the 2.3x crop sensor. Hopefully those lenses could be a bit cheaper as well. Think it would be possible to adapt C-mount lenses for this task?

Ummm... It'll be a good battle between BMCC and the scarlet...I've been using Reds for a long time now and for me $4000 (more like $8000) is still a great deal for the R1 MX. Although it has slightly less DR than BMCC, it's sure a beast. it's a real contender, as well as the Scarlet, for the BMCC. Things won't be as easy and I'm really enjoying work with REDcolor3 and gamma3. Skin tones had a BIG improvement!

On the other hand, let's face it. This little cam is a revolution! For $3000 (more like $5000 kitted) you have such a powerfull tool, it's just unbelivable!

I didn't like MKIII look at all, it's just not in the same league. On the other hand I quite liked GH3 night footage even on highlights... ummm

This camera will most certainly shake the pro market... lol Will be fun to see what the giants will do, cause they'll fall and it'll hurt...

Well after testing fs700 and c300 and c100 i bought Canon 1dc yesterday. A trully visionary camera.

certainly the best value for money camera at the moment. Industry standard stills, with ability to shoot 4k. I'd probably buy this of all the cameras on offer at the moment.

• Administrators

The form factor really is good for my kind of work. I don't 100% understand the obsession with excessive rigging. Here I have with the Blackmagic a much larger screen than a DSLR and a picture making box with securer connections on top of sticks. Want more? Not me. On a DSLR you have a tiny screen and wobbly HDMI port, then inevitably spidery arms to whatever add on is flavour of the month. Not for me really. I like the simplicity the Blackmagic gives my shoots.

i remember a certain blog being over enthusiastic about some sony press releases a couple of weeks ago. surprisingly these fullframe products have not lived up to the hype. love it how sony is back to an electronics giant now from being the sole technological innovator in the camera industry. ;)

bmcc destroys dslr. finally it must be obvious to everyone what p of c they actually are.

if it would be s35 it would destroy red too. but even for budget work i will keep renting a red one mx and a set of zeiss hs for now. just because it gives me a "real" cinema image.

and don´t fool yourself. it´s only that cheap because it isn´t s35. if it were it would be the same as the scarlet.

if you want to shoot proper glass you will need ultraprimes 10, 12, 14, 16, 20, 25 mm. not sure if that will be much cheaper than a red package with same fov.

if you are happy with the contrast, sharpness and breathing of a photo lens then you are in for a treat. but a good sensor need good glass to shine.

• Administrators

bmcc destroys dslr. finally it must be obvious to everyone what p of c they actually are.

Pile of crap, there you can say it. But you're wrong. The DSLRs are still as good and as exciting as they always were it is just that the Blackmagic Cinema Camera is EXTREMELY good and has raised the bar at the $3000 price point. You can blah blah blah about Red all you like, they are not $3000. Big difference for most of us.

Pile of crap, there you can say it. But you're wrong. The DSLRs are still as good and as exciting as they always were it is just that the Blackmagic Cinema Camera is EXTREMELY good and has raised the bar at the $3000 price point. You can blah blah blah about Red all you like, they are not $3000. Big difference for most of us.

don't get me wrong. am not defending red. am not a big fan of its look. just don't see the bmcc as an alternative for my kind of work.

if dslr works for you, fine with me. but as you said, hard to go back once you saw raw.