Blog Comments - SLR Magic Prototype Anamorphic footage and feedback request

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[quote name='BurnetRhoades' timestamp='1353099045' post='21804']
Is the patent still in a stranglehold on the Iscorama though? That'd be great if it functioned like you're saying but I hadn't even considered it because of the patent.
[/quote]

Actually is out of patent now, I am told.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='BurnetRhoades' timestamp='1353284294' post='21910'] [img]http://www.eoshd.com/comments/uploads/inline/13968/50a97ac24a62d_YESSSS.gif[/img] [/quote]

SLR magic wont be able to manufacture something like the Iscorama for less than twice the current going rate of a used iscorama on Ebay. Even at £3000 for a new anamorphic exact copy of the iscorama 36, and/or a set of matched primes for £3500 a pop, PL mount, they would sell lots. I'd happily do a feature film and know it would be good enough for the big screen using my Iscorama + Zeiss primes on an Epic or Alexa. Problem is, SLR magic might struggle to market to this end of the market

[quote name='richg101' timestamp='1353324872' post='21924']
SLR magic wont be able to manufacture something like the Iscorama for less than twice the current going rate of a used iscorama on Ebay. Even at £3000 for a new anamorphic exact copy of the iscorama 36, and/or a set of matched primes for £3500 a pop, PL mount, they would sell lots. I'd happily do a feature film and know it would be good enough for the big screen using my Iscorama + Zeiss primes on an Epic or Alexa. Problem is, SLR magic might struggle to market to this end of the market
[/quote]

Really need a bit more information about where they are at right now.
I'm assuming, from the footage, its a fixed focus monobloc at the moment & at 1.8m min focus that's pretty damn good already!
If this is true, then they could just make a series of adaptors with different focal lengths.
But i suppose that will eliminate the possibility of racking focus - unless they can get a good approximate focal length, say between 1-2m, 2-3m, 3-4m & an infinity.
A bundle of 4 adaptors, with this possibility & big enough to fit on any camera, for £1000 would be interesting.

• 4 months later...

To me, the simplest way to not infringe on the patent seems to be to have an anamorphic attachment that functions as dual focus, until you attach the amazing, super duper single focus accessory which contains other elements and mechanisms (diopter, helicoid etc) for single-focus use.

Then you have a single focus system, you've just sold it in two parts, one is "optional".

If it's out of patent though, awesome!