Blackmagic Cinema Camera Review - DSLR killer?

Andrew Reid

Longest, most convoluted write-up on a single camera since like.... ever.

Also, this "test footage" must have been the most boring I had ever watched. You needed a camera recording RAW to create -- THIS? Regarding the image quality.... seems to me that an $800 digital camera recording not in RAW could have pulled this off just as well. Of course, most everything looks flat and pretty bad on Vimeo, no idea why folks still use that and not You Tube.

This Blackmagic thing, even if it will ever happen for real, like the author correctly states, is only for folks who are happy using iPhones and Apple products. Blackmagic had decided t give the Thunderbolt port and not eSATA or USB 3.0, knowing full well that Windows, Linux, etc. computers will not be getting into TB at any time soon, if ever. Unless you already have an Apple lappie or deskie, it's not worth getting this camera, even if its horrendous birth pains will be at one point in time become alleviated.

Regarding the price, it is proced correctly at $3,000, I believe. But considering everything, you are not really getting that good of a bargain from it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
[quote name='Stunko' timestamp='1353095803' post='21792']
Longest, most convoluted write-up on a single camera since like.... ever.

Also, this "test footage" must have been the most boring I had ever watched. You needed a camera recording RAW to create -- THIS? Regarding the image quality.... seems to me that an $800 digital camera recording not in RAW could have pulled this off just as well.[/quote]

Oops cut you off there, since you instantly lost credibility.

[quote name='milandirector' timestamp='1353084384' post='21780']regarding Resolve, he only advices MBPretina laptops, no PC laptops[/quote]

This I find interesting, you can see that Black Magic design advertises their camera with Apple lap- and desktops, I could understand why because they can test it with a platform that has specific components that don't change. This way they can be sure it will work without an issue. But with a pc it's another story because you have a gazillion possible hardware combinations. Usually problems occur when a user custom builds but selects the wrong parts that might not be compatible, this always explains why one user has issues/crashes and another doesn't with the same type of software. Windows can just be as stable as a Mac but only if you know what you are doing.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1353095592' post='21791']
Let's test this intuitive Windows 7 claim :)[/quote]

That did it for me, I just ordered my first Mac ever, thx for opening my eyes. :D You better publish that VG900 test footage you promised but that probably will look better on a Mac too. ;)

Regarding the image quality....seems to me that an $800 digital camera recording not in RAW could have pulled this off just as well.[/quote]

You are joking, right? :) You need to download the original uploaded file to get a better idea of the image quality.
Also, this "test footage" must have been the most boring I had ever watched.[/quote]
I agree it's not the best sample I've seen that displays the true strength of the BMC but maybe you can show us your masterpiece? ;)

knowing full well that Windows, Linux, etc. computers will not be getting into TB at any time soon, if ever. [/quote]

There are already pc motherboards with TB available today. Also why are you mentioning Linux, that's not an editing platform.
Regarding the price, it is proced correctly at $3,000, I believe. But considering everything, you are not really getting that good of a bargain from it.
[/quote]

Remember there is a 1000 dollar software included, so it's actually 2000 dollar for the camera.

Let's test this intuitive Windows 7 claim :)

Task 1. I need to backup the entire system. I click Time Machine, it is done. You click....

Task 2. I need to have live mail, iMessage and twitter updates top right of my screen. I click Notifications in the control panel and tick a box. You click...

Task 3. There's a problem with your hardware configuration. Through research on Google you realise the BIOS has a wrong setting in it. Oh this never happens on a Mac, next...

Task 4. Your operating system is in German. I click Language & Text. You click... And tell me how many steps this takes in Windows 7 Home Premium.

Task 5 and final task for we want to go back out and shoot. DaVinci Resolve is crashing due to QTDecoder issue, you also have green speckles over video playback in ALL APPS... You fix it for me, whilst I play with my Mac :)
[/quote]
you paid X$ for your mac, I paid x/2$ for pc with windows so while relaxing playing the best games on it (which you cant on os x) Im waiting for delivery of another pc with unix + mac osx gui for saved x/2$. I win :D

The point of my post, well the two points are:

1. Although I prefer MAC platforms over PC, I strongly looked into PC laptops, as I m not a fanboy, but want the best available machine to help me with my specific tasks, for the best price. Official response from DaVinci Resolve guys was not to get laptop PC, but an Apple one.
2. I m not an IT guy. I really do not have time for computer issues, outside from editing/coloring/music, etc... (well this is virtually impossible, but I want as little as possible of these "outside" problems). I simply do not have time, nor interest for this, I just need the machine to help me with creative tasks, so that I can get my paycheque and pay for my bread and roof over my head :) For now I get that with MAC, but if PC were to prove better, I would gladly go back with Windows.

[quote name='milandirector' timestamp='1353111895' post='21820']
The point of my post, well the two points are:

1. Although I prefer MAC platforms over PC, I strongly looked into PC laptops, as I m not a fanboy, but want the best available machine to help me with my specific tasks, for the best price. Official response from DaVinci Resolve guys was not to get laptop PC, but an Apple one.
2. I m not an IT guy. I really do not have time for computer issues, outside from editing/coloring/music, etc... (well this is virtually impossible, but I want as little as possible of these "outside" problems). I simply do not have time, nor interest for this, I just need the machine to help me with creative tasks, so that I can get my paycheque and pay for my bread and roof over my head :) For now I get that with MAC, but if PC were to prove better, I would gladly go back with Windows.
[/quote]
get pc with mac osx cause mac IS a pc. pay 100$ to an IT guy to set it up for you and save few ks$

[quote]...Norton Ghost.[/quote]

[quote]... Acronis true image [/quote]

Do these programs actually do incremental backup on the hour? I thought this was just for ghosting your hard drive so you could go back to come state later in time? Not trying to be snarky, I'm asking honestly because I don't know.

Anyway, I'm not going to go any further into this Mac vs Windows argument because really folks, this is totally played out. It's foolish to try and convince anyone who has already made a decision about one platform over the other. I know it's fun to sling mud at each other but this is really getting boring.

And really folks, at this point in time Windows and Mac have never been more similar. So it's seem to me more a personal preference then anything. While I choose Mac over PC, I can understand how someone would pick Windows. Usually it's based on saving money or keeping compatibility with something they do for work or even just playing games. I get it. I have to use PC's all the time for my 3D animation work and I get it. Can we please, please move on?

[quote name='tomekk' timestamp='1353085313' post='21781']
MAC is the same hardware as PC laptops and is based on FREE UNIX operating system. They’ve just made graphical interface for it and called it Mac OS X to rip you off.
[/quote]

Bastards spent years designing, developing and supporting the best operating system out there, how dare they charge you 20 bucks for it? You're right, people like you deserve Windows.

mac osx cost 20? didnt even know it. anyway you cant install it on a non Apple branded pc so next time calculate total cost they charge. I cant run macosx from dvd for 20 bucks. My last post on Apple vs Pc. Go ahead, buy apple, I dont care anyway, your choice. oh and stop talking bullsh Apple spent years developing it. Plain ignorant and typical apples blind fanboy approach. Ita not macosx the best operating system. It’s UNiX you can say its the best.

[quote name='galenb' timestamp='1353114112' post='21823']
Do these programs actually do incremental backup on the hour?
[/quote]

True image does non stop back ups, so you don't even have to click...
[quote name='galenb' timestamp='1353114112' post='21823']
I know it's fun to sling mud at each other but this is really getting boring.
[/quote]
You are absolutely right, but it's the admin that's keeping this mudslinging contest alive.

[quote name='milandirector' timestamp='1353114206' post='21824']

So would this work with laptop computers too? I simply need mobility. Thanks for the advice.
[/quote]
its harder but doable. read this http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/09/best-hackintosh-laptops-2012-mountain-lion.html?m=1

Let's test this intuitive Windows 7 claim :)

[/quote]

I will try :)

Task 1. I need to backup the entire system. I click Time Machine, it is done. You click....

-- Acronis true image does non stop back ups, no clicks required...

Task 2. I need to have live mail, iMessage and twitter updates top right of my screen. I click Notifications in the control panel and tick a box. You click...

-- ok, not win 7 but If you have windows 8 on a desktop (which is very stable btw as i"m testing it now) that is a matter of pressing one button on my keyboard to switch to metro to see live twitter updates or facebook or messenger and pressing 2 buttons on the keyboard to go back to whatever I was doing.

Task 3. There's a problem with your hardware configuration. Through research on Google you realise the BIOS has a wrong setting in it. Oh this never happens on a Mac, next...

-- Like I said before, usually happens to people that build their own pc and don't know what they are doing.

Task 4. Your operating system is in German. I click Language & Text. You click... And tell me how many steps this takes in Windows 7 Home Premium.

-- Don't know why you would change the language but if needed In Windows 8 it's the same, go to language settings and select the language you want.

Task 5 and final task for we want to go back out and shoot. DaVinci Resolve is crashing due to QTDecoder issue, you also have green speckles over video playback in ALL APPS... You fix it for me, whilst I play with my Mac :)

-- This can mean you either build your own pc but don't know how to do that right or bought one that has not the right specifications for running Resolve.

Many people are trashing windows 8 because it has this confusing classic desktop with metro layered on top, but the longer I use it the better I start to like it, confusing? Yes, when you first switch from Windows 7 but if you take the time to get to know it it's a quit powerfull system that has not caused me any issues so far installing and running my editing software. I see it as an improved windows 7 but with a touch screen interface on top of it. I only wished they would bring back the "start" button in the classic desktop.