New MFT camcorder from Panasonic, rebuilt from scratch!

Axel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Adding a 10bit infrastructure is not a "firmware rewrite".

I would really like to read what exactly Panasonic did.  where's Jan Livingston to answer this.  I'm assuming a true native 10-bit path would require a new chip on the main board for this process.  So I'm trying to understand what a "10-bit smoothing process" is and if it's effective like a general native output.  Seems more like an algorithm (upbit ala "uprez") which would just be fierce code emulation telling outboard devices that they are 10 bit which Panasonic calls a "smoothing process" opposed to a "dedicated" 10 bit signal path/chip.  nowhere do I see any marketing that they've added "new" chips to the model for...."true blah blah blah" which is usually normal for any next generation model.  

Here's what Jan Crittenden said on DVXUser: The 10bit output is 4:2:2, but I want to clarify that 10bit output. It is an enhanced 8Bit. It has a bit of dithering to it to help in those banding situations. And it does help. It also has the enlarged 2X expanded focus that everyone said they wanted and you can set it up to toggle between the Focus on Red and the Expanded view. It has the 60P built in and the 2.35 display. The only chip that has been changed is the microprocessor.

• Administrators

So it is a new processor with a software technique to get smoother colour from 8 bit.

It isn't 10 bit at all.

At a time when Panasonic's pro A/V division should be releasing a 4K cinema camera with global shutter that does AVC Ultra and raw, they come along and do this?? Unacceptable stuff really.

Without even remotely wanting to pick a fight, I find it strangely attractive, and fully accepable, that not all companies throw themselves into this spiral of higher and higher resolution and bitrates... as long as most of the video material shot will end up compressed on Vimeo and YouTube there is something to be said for a solid HD camera with all the lovely trim possibilities. Cameras should have a projected lifetime longer that a year, damn it... In stills cameras it seems that megapixels have stopped skyrocketing... I see quite a few GH2 users (myself included) going back to unhacked, just enjoying the simplicity and still amazingly good looking footage. I hope, and believe, the 4K raw race will prove too cumbersome in the end... that the trend will drift towards creativity instead of crazy consumerism...  Have you noticed how short a time forum members seem satisfied with the equipment they have? Some even fear the BMC will be outdated when it arrives.... :blink:

But then again I'm just an aging romantic ;o)

seeing as 720p was the true shine limit for the AG-AF100 they could've atleast adapted P2 technology in it with DVC Pro HD @ 100mbs 8-bit 4:2:2 just like the HPX170.  AVC Intra 10-bit 4:2:2 was already in the HPX370 before the AF100 was introduced.  This is now 2 years passed. 

Besides this 4K Panasonic surprise upcoming I'm pretty sure they have something in the middle so that they can implement and promote more of their Micro P2 technology.  Panasonic have been really quiet lately and I'm more than sure they will be introduce some dope shit.  hopefully... and taking notes!