Sony drop a bombshell with 4K raw, 180fps and global shutter - here are the Sony F5 and F55!

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[url="http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/sony-f5-f55.jpg"][img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/sony-f5-f55.jpg[/img][/url]

Sony are set to shake up the digital cinema market with a specs war, at less than half the price of the Epic and also at the C300 price point of $15k.

The Sony F5 (priced to compete with the Canon C300) takes the compact form of the FS100 / FS700 but adds a Red-style modularity and the more logical control layout of the Alexa. The F55 has the same ergonomic design but even more importantly the more expensive camera features an utterly ground-breaking new sensor with a global shutter for the first time on a digital cinema camera.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
Could well be $25k, my pricing info was preliminary and I had it a week ago. What I was hearing was that the F5 was meant to compete with the C300 on price at $15k, but frankly they don't have to with specs like that. Maybe they will put it in the middle, around the 20k mark and drop to 16k in a few months.

We learned with the Scarlet vs. C300 price comparisons that the only thing worth comparing pricewise is [b]total cost of ownership[/b].

Sure the camera body may cost $15K but what good does that do you if you need another $20K of proprietary add ons to shoot at the quoted specs and media costs $40/minute at those specs.

I'm sure when you have the proper info you will go over TCO for each attractive camera option in practice.

I'm convinced that it's almost impossible to compete with Sony. They are on a roll that is impressive when you think about all the cameras they've produced all the way down to their Consumer Camcorders. They must have an enormous R&D department to have simultaneously developed so many cameras. It's unreal. They move faster than everyone else too.

Great cameras. I always guessed Sony has many advantages over the competition (it manufactures sensors, TVs, Blue Ray, LCD Screen, Tablets, etc etc, basically everything, plus Columbia Tristar Pictures).
Though, maybe the F5 and F55, will eat as much into the F700 and F65 territory, a they will, into the EPICs and Alexas.
I am guessing that, Arri will be out with a 4k Camera, before the end of the year (maybe they will just put some shit, into a fancy looking housing/ casing, and say its a brilliant 4k camera, with 15 bits of Dynamic Range, and can shoot 240fps @ 4k RAW, and then tell their engineers, to get going, at a war footing. :D Since none will be allowed to review the camera, none would really be able to call the bluff.)

Hey Andrew - one correction: the FS700 will also use the AKS-R5.

The HXR-IFR5 is just the name for the thing that connects the FS700 to the AKS-R5.

Otherwise, yep. Great summary!

Oh - and if you look at the pic of the camera you'll see an ND filter switch.

Jon Fauer has some good info at fdtimes.com - the RAW is 3.6:1 compression, etc.

Now the real question is price! $15k for the F5 and $25k for the F55 would be great. Wonder how much the RAW recorder and media will be! I'm guessing RAW recorder a little expensive, media expensive but not as bad as RED (Sony's media for the F65 is actually cheaper than RED media at the moment). And those lenses look nice. Prices! Prices!

I wonder if they won't announce a slightly high price just to keep F3 sales going... then do some kind of weird financing / rebate thing when the cams actually launch in early 2013 to take the price down $1000.

Exciting times for filmmakers.

Totally agree on the Alexa and RED influences. And one more thought - doesn't this also look similar to Panasonic's modular 4K design that they showed pics of at last NAB?

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com

[quote name='sanveer' timestamp='1351582687' post='20587']
Great cameras. I always guessed Sony has many advantages over the competition (it manufactures sensors, TVs, Blue Ray, LCD Screen, Tablets, etc etc, basically everything, plus Columbia Tristar Pictures).
Though, maybe the F5 and F55, will eat as much into the F700 and F65 territory, a they will, into the EPICs and Alexas.
I am guessing that, Arri will be out with a 4k Camera, before the end of the year (maybe they will just put some shit, into a fancy looking housing/ casing, and say its a brilliant 4k camera, with 15 bits of Dynamic Range, and can shoot 240fps @ 4k RAW, and then tell their engineers, to get going, at a war footing. :D Since none will be allowed to review the camera, none would really be able to call the bluff.)
[/quote]

I think they're just sticking to how awesome their Alexa is now.. Skyfall was uprez'd to 4k from arriraw. I figure that's their angle, lol.. "Shhhhiiiiiit bra!! We don't need 4k! .... Our TWO-k is still better.... Aint nobody watchin' 4k anyway!... Hugo bitchiz!"

[quote name='Germy1979' timestamp='1351583230' post='20589']
I think they're just sticking to how awesome their Alexa is now.. Skyfall was uprez'd to 4k from arriraw. I figure that's their angle, lol.. "Shhhhiiiiiit bra!! We don't need 4k! .... Our TWO-k is still better.... Aint nobody watchin' 4k anyway!... Hugo bitchiz!"
[/quote]

That would be even more embarrassing. If the 2.8k on the Alexa beats the 4k on everyone else ... :P

[quote name='sanveer' timestamp='1351583570' post='20591']

That would be even more embarrassing. If the 2.8k on the Alexa beats the 4k on everyone else ... :P
[/quote]

Agreed... I don't think they just clicked and drug the corners of the image to fit 4k in Adobe, lol... But it would be interesting to see the uprez'ing process they used...

What's even funnier is, what if they did.. (Click and drag..).

Had to be the reason that thing is $80,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.00.