JAMES BOND SKYFALL SONY 4K PROJECTION IN THE UK

andy lee

Just seen the new Bond film Skyfall in 4k Sony Projection .
It looks stunning image quality is amazing .
Arri Alexa and Roger Deakin's Cinematography are a stunning combination!
the film is very good too! great ending!

It's worth seeing in 4k Projection

[url="http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/PR.aspx?newsID=3000"]http://www.dcinemato...spx?newsID=3000[/url]

[b] ARRI hosts Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC, at IBC[/b]

This year has seen an increased take-up of ARRIRAW recording for big-screen movies. Being unencrypted and uncompressed, ARRIRAW helps ARRI's software and postproduction partners to create the best possible 4K or IMAX deliverables; post houses such as ILM are praising the ARRIRAW workflow and the most respected cinematographers in the industry are testifying that ALEXA images look incredible on even the largest IMAX cinema screens.

[img]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/24mTIE4D9JM/mqdefault.jpg[/img]
[color=#606060]SKYFALL trailer[/color]
ALEXA was the camera system chosen for the biggest film of 2012 so far - indeed the third highest grossing film of all time and the fastest ever to reach $500m in the U.S. - Marvel's THE AVENGERS. Cinematographer Seamus McGarvey, ASC, BSC, was so impressed by the functionality of the camera and the image performance of ARRIRAW on AVENGERS - his first digital movie - that he bought his own ALEXA. "The AVENGERS was my first feature film with the ALEXA," he notes. "I was really happy with our images. What was particularly impressive was how well it held up in IMAX theaters; this was a revelation to me."

Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC
Another ALEXA film to get the IMAX treatment, as well as a 4K DCP, is the next James Bond film, SKYFALL, directed by Sam Mendes and scheduled for release in November this year. Cinematographer Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC, comments, "On SKYFALL we are producing a 4K DCP from the ALEXA using ARRIRAW. It was only after I had chosen the ALEXA that IMAX projection became a consideration. Not to worry! The images I have seen in the IMAX theater are simply superb. The quality of the 4K image makes the usual IMAX 'enhancement' process totally unnecessary."

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
it looks very sharp and crisp the image - its very well shot - Roger Deakins is very very good - he shot it all with spherical lenses
Arri Master Primes

[u]have a read of this [/u]
[url="http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com/dv/feature/skyfall-double-agents-data-recording-roger-deakins/60751"][u]http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com/dv/feature/skyfall-double-agents-data-recording-roger-deakins/60751[/u][/url]

[i]''A widescreen 2.40:1 aspect ratio frames the images, which were shot “flat” and extracted from the Alexa’s 16:9 sensor. The lenses were ARRI Master Primes, usually focal lengths in the mid-range like 27, 32, 35 and 40mm. [url="http://www.codexdigital.com/"]Codex[/url]recorders were used with all cameras, up to about 10. Codex Datapacks were backed up on set and then sent for dailies processing.[/i]''

another Deakins interview here
[url="http://the.me/skyfall-first-bond-shot-entirely-digital-cinematographer-roger-deakins-weighs-into-film-vs-digital-debate/"]http://the.me/skyfal...digital-debate/[/url]

looks like they re sized the 2.8k Arri Raw file to 4k for Projection on the new Sony 4k projection system!!
this will cause alot of debate - if a Bond film can resize a 2.8k file and make money at the box office do we really all need to shoot 4k at all !! ....Im sure this debate will run and run !!!

[quote name='KarimNassar' timestamp='1351495870' post='20528']
never seen anything in 4k, I believe there is one screening room equipped with 4k in a neighboring town from where I live.
Really want to see what it is like![/quote]

> talk to the projectionist. The DCPs are all 4k, but the projector needs to have it too.
> sit close to the screen. In this german floorplan ('Leinwand' = screen), the true cineaste's choice would be row three, seat eleven:
[img]http://www.eden-homburg.de/images/staticsites/saalplan_164_big.jpg[/img]

I have my own opinion regarding 4k, but I am curious what you think.

Interesting. Well, if Canon, with the 5D Mark ii, can consistently give us 590 lines of resolution, instead of 1080, why can't Arri call 2.8k RAW a 4k video. I quite frankly doubt the actual resolution that comes out of the 4k cameras, especially in terms of the work than can be done in post. RED Claims a dynamic range of upto 16 stops (I wonder if its even possible), and yet, in most tests, the Alexa (which has a dynamic range of 13 stops) beats it by around 2 stops.
Overly detailed images kill it, for me. Films can't look like documentaries. There is a certain charm in soft dreamy images. Even the IMAX images aren't so detailed, that you notice apple flies sitting on fruits, in garden shots. Also, the projection size is enormous, so the image is still cinematic, and not too sharp.
One of the things that ruined the select preview for the Hobbit, was the 48fps. Now I believe, James Cameron is taking it to 60fps. Its just making films look too detailed. 4k may be ok, for 2k sized screens, for projecting 3D films, perhaps.
Maybe, all of us GH2 owners, should upscale the GH2 to 4k. THAT would be something. :P

@sanveer
Upscaling is what a 4k DLP does with normal 2k films. And guess what? The difference is hard to see, although the resolution of, er, [i]true[/i] 4k means four times that of 2k.

'Overly detailed images kill it, for me.'

This is no longer about detail. It is about no longer [i]seeing resolution[/i]. And a very well defined image looks more organic, not desperately sharp.

'There is a certain charm in soft dreamy images.'

In comparison to the [i]unsharp mask[/i] blockyness with which the details crumble into focus with the DSLRs. You really should go and see the film. In 4k.

[quote name='Axel' timestamp='1351540831' post='20553']
@sanveer
Upscaling is what a 4k DLP does with normal 2k films. And guess what? The difference is hard to see, although the resolution of, er, [i]true[/i] 4k means four times that of 2k.

'Overly detailed images kill it, for me.'

This is no longer about detail. It is about no longer [i]seeing resolution[/i]. And a very well defined image looks more organic, not desperately sharp.

'There is a certain charm in soft dreamy images.'

In comparison to the [i]unsharp mask[/i] blockyness with which the details crumble into focus with the DSLRs. You really should go and see the film. In 4k.
[/quote]

I don't know if India has any 4k screens. I guess, since Reliance is in business (they picked up Dreamworks), so, maybe, in another few months, 4k resolutions theatres will start popping up, suddenly. I guess, if you're going to keep 4k soft and dreamy, like film, then, you're just increasing the size of the projection, ala IMAX.

[quote name='andy lee' timestamp='1351553824' post='20558']
I'd like to see GH2 upscaled to 4k and projected!!
we should do a test.....
[/quote]

Dude, would LOVE to see, this one. GH2 @ 4k. It should be shot SUPER SHARP, but, the colors should be a little pale (maybe with some purebred Leica lens) and then softened in upscaling. wow

Mathematically, somebody will simply reply that no, it can't be increased 3x it's native resolution without a significant drop in image quality.. What program would, (or could)-uprez a 1080 file to over 4000? Something like Cinnafilm?..

.......ever have a sudden moment where you go, "......i'm married with 2 kids & i have a gh2. My park video probably won't be projected at 4k."

But that would be F--KING AWESOME!!

[quote name='Axel' timestamp='1351522860' post='20538']
> talk to the projectionist. The DCPs are all 4k, but the projector needs to have it too.
> sit close to the screen. In this german floorplan ('Leinwand' = screen), the true cineaste's choice would be row three, seat eleven:
[/quote]

row three? why so close? You don't get o say the full frame from row three do you?

I'm lucky enough to own and live in an old cinema (with a beautiful Bauer 35 mm projector with Möller Cinemascope and all..), and have often projected my GH2 videos in full HD to the 6 meters wide sceen. from our Optoma projector.. looks wonderful I can assure you! No need to upscale.

[quote name='KarimNassar' timestamp='1351588107' post='20597']
row three? why so close? You don't get o say the full frame from row three do you?
[/quote]

That's the idea. In the 1990's, there was a test with audiences, where people were asked to make a detailed summary of the film they just watched. It turned out that those from the first rows, even if they suffered from a distorted image, could describe more plot points than those who [i]stared[/i] at the screen from a greater distance. It was assumed that the screen was so big for them, that they were forced to move their heads and eyes, and that kept their attention. In layman's terms, as I see it, there were just more surrounded by the film and therefore more involved.

New cinemas were often built with much bigger screens, relative to the floorplan, as a consequence.

Stanley Kubrick once said: 'A big screen turns small when you watch it from the last row'.

There is a more profane reason: You can't distinguish 4k, 2k or 1k from the back.

Other findings: The louder the sound was, the better. And a film projected in mono caught much less attention than a surround film.

[color=#222222][font=Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][size=4][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)][quote name='Germy1979' timestamp='1351586510' post='20596']Mathematically, somebody will simply reply that no, it can't be increased 3x it's native resolution without a significant drop in image quality.. What program would, (or could)-uprez a 1080 file to over 4000? Something like Cinnafilm?.. [/quote]

The misconception here is, that the quality changes with the upscaling. Upscaling just does what the term implies: It allows for a bigger screen.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='kirk' timestamp='1351603278' post='20609']
I'm lucky enough to own and live in an old cinema (with a beautiful Bauer 35 mm projector with Möller Cinemascope and all..), and have often projected my GH2 videos in full HD to the 6 meters wide sceen. from our Optoma projector.. looks wonderful I can assure you! No need to upscale.
[/quote]

I've just started daydreaming because of this... I love cinemas and theaters... what city are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

[quote name='jgharding' timestamp='1351618918' post='20639']
I've just started daydreaming because of this... I love cinemas and theaters... [/quote]

It's never been so easy to convert a video to a DCP, with [url="http://opendcp.org/"]OpenDCP[/url]. Self-explanatory. Put it on a USB stick, load it to a local cinema server, and there you go.

At the risk of sounding dumb, how the hell does one pronounce "Arri"?

Everyone I have met pronounces it differently: arr-eye, uh-rye, air-ee, air-eye.

I'm assuming that it's pronounced like the last names of founders, ARnold and RIchter, so that would arr-ee. But then again, Linux was created by someone named Linus, but everyone pronounces it lih-nux.

It's
A= 'Er' or 'uh', the emphasis is on this first syllable.
rr-= like the 'j' in spanish [i]mejor[/i] (better), not soft like the americans pronounce it, but also not rolling as the 'r' in spanish [i]rapido[/i] (fast)
i= ee (short, like in english, two consonants make the following vowel short).

[quote name='jgharding' timestamp='1351618918' post='20639']
I've just started daydreaming because of this... I love cinemas and theaters... what city are you in, if you don't mind me asking?
[/quote]

I live in a small town in southern Sweden called Näsum... I'm an artist painter, my wife a musician. We wanted a place to arrange concerts and exhibit paintings, and found this closed down 110 seats theatre/cinema with adjoining house, built around 1900, for next to nothing... it is quite a special feeling to watch movies in your own cinema, with the dog snoring on a rug...