Full 1080p high bitrate GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition footage now available for download

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/51618708[/vimeo]

[url="https://vimeo.com/51618708"]Download the video here (Vimeo Plus members only)[/url]

As well as having the coolest name for a camera ever conceived, this is a camera that kind of makes you wonder what the Japanese camera manufacturers have been up to all this time. Although the 720/120fps mode is shared by Panasonic, the GoPro team have smashed a number of barriers here in terms of 4K / 2.7K resolution and processing power in such a small camera, for a frankly unbelievable $400.

EOSHD takes a look at the new HERO3 camera.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
This is the site URL (for the Models):

[url="http://gopro.com/hd-hero3-cameras"]http://gopro.com/hd-hero3-cameras[/url]

There are different videos, for the different models. I am guessing, that, the comparisons will come in, through people who buy them, rather than the company.

I have been asked to look into developing a crazy one-off project where a Sony RX100 is 'de lensed' and a sony emount attached to allow Arri 16mm zeiss and cooke primes and angenieux zooms to be mounted.

I have to say this looks like a more obvious choice. I wonder (lenses set aside), whether the rx100 or hero3 black would have the edge overall when using lenses designed for smaller focal planes like 16mm. Does the gopro have full manual control?

Andrew, good article. This camera is exciting. It shows camera manufacturers could up the ante. If GoPro developed an interchangeable mount, 2.7K or 4K camera for a reasonable price, they'd take the lion share of the camera market. Some info on GoPro's CineForm Studio below.

GoPro's CineForm Studio line of editing tools makes it easy to create professional quality clips from your GoPro content or prep for more advanced editing with Adobe Premier, Final Cut Pro, Sony Vegas, etc. From simple adjustments like slow motion control and clip trimming to more advanced color correction and 3D editing, CineForm Studio is a powerful tool for all GoPro content creators.
CineForm Studio features:[list]
[*]Keep your GoPro cameras and BacPacs current with the latest software updates
[*]Easy playback and trimming of your GoPro video clips
[*]Frame rate adjustment for slow motion
[*]Quickly create videos from your timelapse photos
[*]Convert GoPro H.264 MP4s into editor friendly CineForm AVI or MOV files
[*]Apply real-time, non-destructive image adjustments that don't require re-rendering as changes are applied.
[*]Adjust video white balance, exposure, contrast, saturation and framing
[*]Support for ProTune and push-button color presets
[*]Process and adjust videos captured with the GoPro's 3D HERO System
[*]Export MP4/MOV for web sharing, including pre-formatted 3D content for YouTube and 3D TVs
[*]Preview 3D content on supported 3D monitors and TVs
[*]Support for other H.264 MOV/MP4 sources such as Canon and Nikon DSLRs
[/list]
[url="http://gopro.com/software-app/cineform-studio#description"]http://gopro.com/software-app/cineform-studio#description[/url]

How much ya wanna' bet that an interchangeable lens mount is in the near future? It seems like the next logical step for them. Their system is popular, powerful, with loads of accessories being made by multiple companies. An exclusive revenue stream of GoPro lenses could earn them reams of money.

The only consideration that comes to mind is sensor size. Once you go ILC, you have to keep the sensor fixed. That could pose a problem.

[quote name='mike_tee_vee' timestamp='1350587018' post='19938']
How much of an effect does the lack of image stabilization have on this camera? The Sony Action Cam includes it, so I'm wondering why GoPro chose not to.
[/quote]

Depends on what you're filming of course...but in general because the lens is so wide its not a detriment at all.

[quote name='Zach' timestamp='1350589151' post='19942']
Depends on what you're filming of course...but in general because the lens is so wide its not a detriment at all.
[/quote]

Agreed! I really like the option of 1440P @ 48fps. Enough extra resolution to crop in for stabilization if needed, and a convenient way to properly conform to 24P while keeping a 50% slow motion option available in the back pocket.

Is the higher ProTune bitrate available at all resolutions?

Edit: Scratch that... 4:3 shooting is not my bag.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1350558027' post='19894']
this is a camera that kind of makes you wonder what the Japanese camera manufacturers have been up to all this time.
[/quote]

Exactly. 2.7k video. In a unit the size of a matchbox. For $400. This shows you how the signal processing electronics needed for greater than HD resolution is now 1) cheap 2) small and 3) has very low power consumption. In other words: totally commoditized. The image processing in this tiny $400 camera is superior to Canon's enormous C300 which costs $15,000. We so desperately need more small independent camera manufacturers, or we are going to be strung along by Canon for another 5 years.

This is quite an incredible camera for an even more incredible price.
But I highly doubt that GoPro could ever do a GoCine, for a simple reason: they can have such a low price only because they sell GoPros in the numbers of mobile phones.
First GoPro had good specs for the price, but not so incredible as this one.
Now that they have a name and a huge market share (before Sony Action cam they were the only ones) they can risk to sell something with a small margin, knowing that numbers will be big.
If they make a GoCine potential buyers will be 1/100 or 1/1000 of the casual sports buyers that bought the GoPro for skiing during weekends.
With such smaller production quantities and higher specs combined together probably the GoCine would go up in price to something like 1500$, and who would buy a 4k tiny sensor with obvious limitations in hardware and features for such a price?

Couple of bad things. One is that the exposure is automatic. If you like jumping exposures, no problem.

Second is that a DSLR is actually way more versatile for narrative POV's. The look in Hurlbut's film with full-frame point of views is definitely way more interesting. It's also harder to achieve as you need to mount the cam various ways.

Also I've never been impressed when GoPro's have been used for narrative but I've been impressed when a DSLR has been used as a POV cam.