GoPro 3 Black Edition

sanveer

I have never been a fan of GoPro products, I always found the video quality lousy, and the looks of the camera, very amateurish (even girly or kiddish). But, the New GoPro3 Black Edition seems to be a killer camera. Apart from the 2.7k resolution it offers, it does also 1080 @ 60p. WOW !!!

It has a host of strange resolutions, some at pretty good frame rates.

And, all this @ only $399.

I saw the video quality on youtube, and it seems on par with all the DSLRs out there. IF not better. And, it has some great TimeLapse features too.

I think GoPro has finally come of age ... :P

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A3PDXmYoF5U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A3PDXmYoF5U[/url]

[url="http://gopro.com/"]http://gopro.com/[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/895414-REG/GoPro_HERO3_Black_Edition.html"]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/895414-REG/GoPro_HERO3_Black_Edition.html[/url]

[color=#ff0000][b]Price: $400 [/b][/color]

[b][u]High Definition[/u]
MPEG4-AVC/H.264[/b]
3840 x 2160p / 12 fps
[u][b]High Definition[/b][/u]
[b]MPEG4-AVC/H.264[/b]
2592 x 1458p / 30 fps
2592 x 1458p / 25 fps
[b][color=#ff0000]2592 x 1458p / 24 fps[/color][/b]
[b]MPEG4-AVC/H.264[/b]
2304 x 1440p / 48 fps
2304 x 1440p / 30 fps
[b]MPEG4-AVC/H.264[/b]
2304 x 1440p / 25 fps
2304 x 1440p / 24 fps
[b]MPEG4-AVC/H.264[/b]
1920 x 1080p / 60 fps
1920 x 1080p / 50 fps
1920 x 1080p / 48 fps
[b]MPEG4-AVC/H.264[/b]
1920 x 1080p / 30 fps
1920 x 1080p / 25 fps
1920 x 1080p / 24 fps
[b]MPEG4-AVC/H.264[/b]
1280 x 960p / 100 fps
1280 x 960p / 48 fps
[b]MPEG4-AVC/H.264[/b]
1280 x 720p / 120 fps
1280 x 720p / 100 fps
[b]MPEG4-AVC/H.264[/b]
1280 x 720p / 60 fps
1280 x 720p / 50 fps
[u][b]Standard Definition[/b][/u]
[b]MPEG4-AVC/H.264[/b]
854 x 480p / 240 fps

]GoPro Hero3 Black Edition Puts 4K Video Capture on Your Helmet

By Jim Fisher

October 17, 2012 10:01am EST

GoPro today unveiled its new Hero3 camcorder, which continues the rugged tradition of the HD Hero2 and comes in three versions—the Black Edition, Silver Edition, and White Edition.

GoPro cameras are renowned for their rugged features and small design, which makes them appropriate for helmet mounting. The cameras are often used by skiers, rock climbers, divers, and other fans of extreme sports to record their exploits.

[color=#FF0000]The Black Edition is making waves, as it is the first camera of its size to support 4K video capture, a format that delivers four times as many pixels as 1080p. The $400 camcorder includes a waterproof housing that is rated for use at depths of up to 197 feet, a few different types of mounts, and a Wi-Fi remote control.[/color]

The 4K resolution does come with a catch—at its top setting, recording is limited to a paltry 12 frames per second, which will appear choppy when played back at normal speed—but can be sped up for smooth playback, although the speed of motion may remind you of an old silent film. You can grab 2.7k footage at a more reasonable 30 frames per second, 1080p footage at 60fps, and 720p at an impressive 120fps—making high-def slow motion recording a reality.

There are a few other improvements compared to the Hero2. The Black Edition shoots 12-megapixel photos at up to 30fps, and promises to perform better in low light. Its lens features a 6-element design with aspherical elements, the microphone has been improved, and Wi-Fi is now built in to the camera.

If the $400 price tag is too much to swallow, you can opt for the $300 Silver Edition or the $200 White Edition. Both cameras top out at 1080p30, ship with the waterproof housing, and feature built-in Wi-Fi, but you'll have to purchase the $80 Wi-Fi remote control separately. The major difference between the two models is still image resolution—the Silver Edition captures photos at 11 megapixels, while the White Edition is limited to 5 megapixels.

All three cameras are scheduled to go on sale next week.

You know, I think Canon will now be forced to tick a '0' (Zero), off their prices ... :D

With So Many INDEPENDENT sensor maker, I don't understand, how camera manufacturers make such sub-standard, over-priced cameras. 2.7k is Insane. It helps with so much in post work.

You know, now, accessory makers should concentrate on making accessories for the GoPro. Have some crazy Magic Lantern version, for the GoPro, too. Wow.

If this shoots anywhere close to amazing ( ;) ), considering the price, production houses will pick these up, by the dozen ( :P )

Btw, the 2.7k @ 30 and 24/ 25 fps (on the GoPro 3 Black Edition), makes one ask, another Important question. Why are DSLR makers, ever since 2008 (when the 5D Mark II came out), STILL only giving us 1080p (Full HD), when they can bloody well, give us, high resolution (2.5k and OVER) video in DSLRs. hmmm ... maybe, no one should buy DSLRs for video, for a month, in Protest :P

saveer, I am thinking the same thing as you. By the way, I think the GoPro video footage is amazing. The price is amazing too. DSLR camera manufacturers could give us way more. They'll try to get as much from the consumer before offering more. Throw a few crumbs at a time so they can profit more. Part of the game. What GoPro shows is competition will be fierce in the near future.

[quote name='Chrad' timestamp='1350568124' post='19916']
I think it's only a matter of time until GoPro leverage CineForm Raw with a cinema camera of their own. I'd say it will be their next product line. They're much more likely to put up a serious fight for BMD's market than any of the Japanese giants.
[/quote]

Wow, I was gonna say, that, its High Time, that GoPro moved to Raw and serious Pro work. Maybe, this should push everyone else to pull up their socks, and start giving us something worth buying.

[quote name='FilmMan' timestamp='1350567705' post='19914']
saveer, I am thinking the same thing as you. By the way, I think the GoPro video footage is amazing. The price is amazing too. DSLR camera manufacturers could give us way more. They'll try to get as much from the consumer before offering more. Throw a few crumbs at a time so they can profit more. Part of the game. What GoPro shows is competition will be fierce in the near future.
[/quote]

Seriously dude. The competition is Just heating up

Stoked! Bit bummed that my hero2's accessories don't work for it, but smaller size and weight partly compensate. HD2 with battery backpack or viewfinder on the helmet is actually bit too heavy for me...and scary...skiing. Mostly the 2.7k and higher framerates rock! Don't expect it will be any better in lowlight, but my underwater footage from hd2 is AMAZING! Can see a lot of stabilization in my future, too bad Mercalli (running now in vegas...SLOW as molasses) and adobe warp stabilizer aren't faster.

Now why can't we get 2.5k in at an affordable price for HDSLR's? Curious as to how 2.7k downscales to 1080p...hopefully tack sharp. Was looking at the sony for 120 fps, but gopro pulled a rabbit out of the hat at the last minute...what can I say? 2.7k?!! for 400 bucks....way to go guys.... :)

[quote name='agp26' timestamp='1350676539' post='20004']
Now why can't we get 2.5k in at an affordable price for HDSLR's? Curious as to how 2.7k downscales to 1080p...hopefully tack sharp. Was looking at the sony for 120 fps, but gopro pulled a rabbit out of the hat at the last minute...what can I say? 2.7k?!! for 400 bucks....way to go guys.... :)
[/quote]

Cause the DSLR guys are fooling us, consistently, for far too long. If they are in Dire Need of Money, maybe they could start a Forum for Collections. Or start a campaign on Kickstarter or something. I don't know what the excuse it.
Its also probably a cartel or something. Maybe if someone files and official complaint, with some international trade body, alleging cartelization, through limitation of available technology, and show that all DSLR aren't moving anywhere, the Trade Body would do their own research, on the matter. That would be interesting :D

• 1 month later...
Great GoPro3Black Edition video, comparing it, to the former 2 GoPros. The improvement seems to be very good. Though, in low light, I notice the contrast has been increased, to keep the noise low (something Andrew did too, in one of his GH2 videos, if I am not wrong).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZvPBBHAuiI&feature=related