Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First look at the new ReWo Blackmagic Cinema Camera Cage

41 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/IMG_2523.jpeg"][img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/IMG_2523.jpeg[/img][/url]

Here's an ingenious cage solution for the Blackmagic Cinema Camera by my neighbours in Berlin - ReWo.

Rather than a bulky cage which wraps around the entire camera, ReWo have chosen to form their cage around the mount tube. Yes finally that strange EF tube has a use! The cage provides mounting points for ReWo's wood handles via Arri rosettes, top handle, mounting points for accessories via 1/4" and 3/8" threads and a 15mm rods block.
estifulsepale likes this

Posted · Report post

Looks like a starfighter from Star Wars - not bad!
And I'm sure it's well crafted, but for €750 + tax? A-aa.
Germy1979 likes this

Posted · Report post

Late October for BMC to arrive? You are an optimist :rolleyes:
They are only now expecting some shipment of sensors and havent even started manufacturing. Remember it is Australia we are talking about not China, they don't work at speed over there.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Simco123' timestamp='1348949196' post='19199']
Late October for BMC to arrive? You are an optimist :rolleyes:
They are only now expecting some shipment of sensors and havent even started manufacturing. Remember it is Australia we are talking about not China, they don't work at speed over there.
[/quote]

So you think camera is actually manufactured in Australia?

Posted · Report post

I could do with different handles, those remind me of that hasselblad Lunar too much :/

Posted · Report post

looks like they took some influence from Alpa medium format cams. I quite like it.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='avrofilmvideo' timestamp='1348952522' post='19203']

[/quote]
It is.

Posted · Report post

My grandma used to say: "The food enters first though the eyes" She was right.
This design is like a sticky divorce, it doesn't match the modern design of the camera.
alanpoiuyt likes this

Posted · Report post

Those handles... (Snicker)

Hey alright. They look like they belong on the nickel plated .45 of a midnight rape vigilante...

....who wears aviators.

Posted · Report post

Tell us more about the $60 19v battery?

Posted · Report post

I REALLY like it, although 500€ should be the price for the EF version. I took the BMC in my hands on a presentation last week and there simply was NO WAY to hold it comfortably.
They had the Zacuto top-handle with FF setup, which balanced strangely. Sure, in a full rig, there will be not that much difference to a bigger DSLR body, but the RevoRing seems to just add the most necessary "material" without making it even more bulky.
This now looks ready to pick up and shoot, very interesting for my documentary shooting style.
But please Revo, drop the price before the Chinese copycat you again (or maybe that´s why it is a bit high in the first place...).

Posted · Report post

Was this designed by Inspector Gadget?
But seriously an ingenious idea to build around the mount.

Posted · Report post

finally! somebody asking about the most important thing! :-)

it`s an xpal 8000 laptop backup battery -> www.xpalpower.com
rebranded it`s also available from energizer.

it`s nice and small and fits right into the rig and sits underneath the camera.

+ it has an additional 5v usb power outlet so you can charge your phone while you shoot :-)

Posted · Report post

Odd looking design, not my cup of tea, and way too expensive. I liked the look of the Wooden Camera cage, until I saw Viewfactor's "Contineo" cage, easily the nicest design I've seen so far and pretty reasonably priced. That's what I've ordered for my BMCC, now all I need is the camera....

Posted · Report post

[quote name='avrofilmvideo' timestamp='1348952522' post='19203']
[/quote]

Which rock did you crawled out of? <_<

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Germy1979' timestamp='1348988585' post='19220']
Those handles... (Snicker)

Hey alright. They look like they belong on the nickel plated .45 of a midnight rape vigilante...

....who wears aviators.
[/quote]

Hilarious (and I agree, now that you mention it).

Posted · Report post

I don't understand the strange comments about the aesthetics. It is striking and I suppose that divides people but I am on the side of the looks, it is beautiful. Show me your rare wood handles for your plastic DSLR made in China!!
Cameron McKinlay and richg101 like this

Posted · Report post

The cage will probably not work with the shorter M43 turret? Anyhow, I can see the point of having a fixture for rails, for battery, follow focus and a mattebox, but the camera body, being a monobloc aluminum structure, is a cage in itself. There already are three 1/4 inch holes on top of the camera for handle, mic etc, and if you need side handles they can be fixed to the rails. Paying that high a price for something that already is there seems somewhat silly?
Ernesto Mántaras likes this

Posted · Report post

The solution for the MFT camera, as written in the article, is the same cage built around a cinema lens mount adapter (PL, etc). Please read it

Posted · Report post

Sorry Andrew :) But I still think this is overkill :-)
estifulsepale likes this

Posted · Report post

Looking at the beautifully machined aluminium i think they missed a trick making it black! I imagine a silver anodisation would work amazingly in keeping with the theme of the black magic look. replace the hard wood handles for some laminated 'zebra' look timber. bleached birch laminated with stained black birch! lovely!

Posted · Report post

calm down guys... :-)

we OFFER this cage, nobody is forced to buy it...

if you like to rip out the threads directly from your precious camera body.... go ahead.

but honestly, we knew that this would only appeal to certain people..
first of all we build stuff that WE want to shoot with and this is the design both of us liked the most.
and yes, i like my alpa a lot :-)

this rig is 100% made in germany, the handles involve a big amount of hand finishing and, trust me, we don`t have chinese slaves doing that..

there`s always a cheaper solution, product, one for every given budget, so please go ahead, i totally understand that at this price point not everybody can afford this.

top gear can, just sold the last two remaining gh2 cages to them :-)

about the MFT mount version.
this cage will be a pain in the ass if you want to shoot directly with MFT lenses! that`s for sure.
but since the camera does not support iris or powered focus on these lenses, anything but your voightländer won`t work either..
we`re aiming here at people who use lens adapters.
unlike the pl adapter that you stick directly onto your MFT camera, and that then shakes in the mount, ours will be rock steady and support even the heaviest lenses like angenieux optimos etc.. with now force pulling on the camera mount.

as always, all hints, criticism, suggestions etc.. are welcome, we`re not red and we`re pretty proud of that :-)

best,

bernd wondollek
ReWo
Andrew Reid likes this

Posted · Report post

@richg101

zebrano handles are already available :-)

we`re also thinking about a "send us the wood you like the most and we make your personal pair of handles for you" solution.

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/comments/uploads/inline/15850/506ae5a2c14a0_20120822_162045.jpg[/img]

Posted · Report post

Don't get me wrong... you make some fine cages (and I would have loved to have a GH2 cage if my budget had allowed)...