angenieux close up lens anamorphic missing link

tony wilson

i have been slowly going through box's of stuff in my storage unit and i came across some optics by angenieux and kinoptik.
the 2 greatest optics houses of france.

they are close up optics from the early 1970s probably for movie or tv use.
80mm size with a very nice mag fluoride single layer coating.
when i tested these with anamorphics,they seem to make an amazing stay on longer close up lens
my guess is magnification is +0.3.
whatever it is it allows focus from around 3.5 feet to 14 feet.
testing with iscorama,sankor,kowa type lens
that is roughly around f2.8 so pretty handy.
i think it is always good to test this stuff @ the f1.8-2.8 stop range.
single element but quality is simply superb.
i have 10 usable and a few others a bit trashed.
i will be putting them in a mount 82mm screw thread.
i will be listing them on shitbay at some stage.

i will be offering a full refund guarantee on usability and quality as i believe these are more flexible than the tokina.

although single element i see very little distortion or error.
just fantastic usability and the biggest focus range of any close up i have found.

anyone who is familiar with the reputations of angenieux and kinoptik will understand they did not mess about when they made stuff.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Hey tony. I may be interested. my tokina is amazing but i can only focus between 3.5ft-10ft with it. Hoped to get a bit further away for long tracking shots from close up to greater distance than 10ft in one take. Id be happy to deal out of paypal and ebay. i guess one of these beasts will also allow me to focus closer if I stack it in front of the tokina. would that give me a 1.5ft minimum?

PS.. I saw a iscorama 36 on ebay which had been modified for closeup use. the thread had been extended so the front focusing element could travel further forward while still being able to travel all the way back for infinity.

it improves the baby hypergonar a lot the problem is the size 80mm is a bit mental.
if you already have the tokina then it might be a waste of money.

focus range of the tokina gets you closer maybe 4ft...the angeniuex maybe 5ft.
remember that the fixed focus optic setting of baby hypergonar is more like some 16mm anamorphics 8-12 feet
what these ultra low power diopters do is give a bigger focus range perfect for interiors also you can do much more interesting dynamic focus pulls that are sharp

still checking the angenieux but my hunch is a doublet will have the edge.

the tokina has more magnification power at +0.4 but +0.3 seems to be hitting a sweet spot.

what is great is all my angenieux visual tests are using bad light wide open or stopped down to f2.8

[b] quickhitrecord[/b]

i am gonna make a nice upgrade kit for the baby hypergonar a waste of time and effort since they are so rare but it should increase the usability and quality of that baby.

still need a couple of weeks to sort out a screw thread mount for angenieux.not sure of the price
but as my ex girlfriend once said your an asshole but your not cheap : )

[quote name='tony wilson' timestamp='1348091812' post='18632']
[b] quickhitrecord[/b]

i am gonna make a nice upgrade kit for the baby hypergonar a waste of time and effort since they are so rare but it should increase the usability and quality of that baby.

still need a couple of weeks to sort out a screw thread mount.not sure of the price
but as my ex girlfriend once said your an asshole but your not cheap : )
[/quote]

Great news, Tony. I will send you some notes that I have which may or may not be helpful.

That sounds very intriguing. However I already bought the Tokina 0,5 from you - would this make a big difference?
So far I am pretty confident with the quality and had no chance to check out the 0.4 achromat - so I can not judge on my own.

Upgrade Kit for the Baby Hypergonar sounds even more intruiging... :)
And as my beloved wife told me: "You are not an asshole and you don't deal in cheap goods!"

the angenieux will be better quality than the single element tokina.
but not quite as good as the double element.

not sure why but the angenieux just seems to be doing this close up stuff much easier it could just because of low power.

i would say it will be better for a focus anamorphic rather than a fixed optic one.

the baby hypergonar improvement thing is gonna be cool...it will take 2 months to finish.

my other project without the heat or bullcrap of slr magics lens is my prototype small likle anamorphic.
very quick bursts the lens is back in pieces as it is still got someway to go.
optics still a little soft but
i have now surpassed optex and century in quality and flexibility.
not as wide as those bits of glass but maybe a better look.
the anamorphic optics are uncoated and the cooke optics have no coat.

the footage is a bit wonky as i held the anamorphic in front of a lovely old cooke lens from charlie chaplin times and so old had no filter thread

[media]http://vimeo.com/49805224[/media]
[media]http://vimeo.com/49806645[/media]

[quote name='tony wilson' timestamp='1348107094' post='18656']
my other project without the heat or bullcrap of slr magics lens is my prototype small likle anamorphic.
very quick bursts the lens is back in pieces as it is still got someway to go.
optics still a little soft but
i have now surpassed optex and century in quality and flexibility.
not as wide as those bits of glass but maybe a better look.

the footage is a bit wonky as i held the anamorphic in front of a lovely old cooke lens from charlie chaplin times and so old had no filter thread

[media]http://vimeo.com/49805224[/media]
[media]http://vimeo.com/49806645[/media]
[/quote]

More....please :)

i have not been shooting with it just doing live view tests in bad light..
i had to send the optics away for polishing so i knocked off a couple of takes with it on the way to the post office.
i should have it back next week for more testing.
the footage is really jerky on vimeo not sure why but it was shot with a 4 year old unhacked gh1.
it is quite nice seeing 1.33 footage with a slightly longer focal length.
the optex,century and panasonic all have much tighter spaced wider angle optics and most people seem to use those with wide angle taking lens which i think the look is a bit dull.

i will be getting a few of the close up's mounted on thursday.
i will have 3 ready...i have put a nice old fashioned simple single layer Magnesium fluoride coating on them.

these are
angenieux early 1970s close up diopters power is +0.3
optic size is 80mm in a 82mm screw thread

these will be perfect for anamorphics with a min focus 4-8 feet.
they are single element but the best i have found in single element cannot see any defects lovely quality.
chemical soaked and coated.
lovely condition with a full guarantee.
when i get time and more mounts i will sell some on ebay for £250 sterling.

so this is for 1 revamped angenieux close up diopter.
perfect for use with anamorphic lens.

• 4 weeks later...
ok guys...
so i have a few of these old close up's.
discription above

they where a stupid non standard size so they have been edged and cleaned to fit into an 82mm holder.
full coverage on iscorama 54
have some 72-82mm step rings and
isco 54-82mm adapters

i am interested in trading for food : )
fine wines and coffees,caviar,champagne and sports cars.
women i will have to see fotos first.

i sold a couple on ebay at 220 sterling the price when i get low will be 250 sterling.
but i will do a nice price for foreign exotica .
first 3 to ping me an email...

antiochus66@yahoo.co.uk

Just did some tests with the Angenieux & Iscorama 54 - you can focus throughout the whole scale right up to infinity (don't know if this is peculiar to the 54, the lens or what).
No vignetting at all! If there is any CA, its not noticeable to my eyes.
Well worth the money? I think so!

Roughly this is how it converts:
2m = 1.2m
4m = 1.75m
10m = 2.45m
Infinity = 3.25m

Will post a vid on Vimeo later, as i started stacking Diopters to see what the results would be & again i could use the whole focus scale with no vignetting.

[quote name='Bioskop.Inc' timestamp='1350753031' post='20047']
Here's a quick test that gives you an idea of the Angenieux +0.3 - on its own & in competition/combination with the Tokina +0.4 Achromat.

[url="https://vimeo.com/51816478"]https://vimeo.com/51816478[/url]
[/quote]
Such demonstrations are most helpful; thanks for sharing.

What surprises me most is the difference in FOV when comparing the 0.3 with the 0.4