Lenses for BMDCC

garypayton

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
If you want the wider field of view, the Sigma 8-16 will be the one to get. 8 compared to 11mm on the Blackmagic makes a hell of a lot of difference. 18mm equivalent to 25mm. So one is standard wide and one is ultra wide.

If you value the faster aperture more, on the Tokina then that has to be it. Quite a big difference between F2.8 and F4 as well.

A shame we can't have both in one lens!

Also don't forget the rather lovely Canon EF 10-22mm F3.5

The Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 sound good too, slower than the Tokina 11-16mm, yes, but has a longer reach. In my case for VFX works the BMC with this Sigma will do just fine, is not the king of the high ISO but i never have to do work without lights so a clean ISO up to 800 is enough for me.

• 2 months later...
[quote name='alexander' timestamp='1346154926' post='16700']
12mm f2 will be delicious on the bmc plse let us have a ef m4/3 adapter!?
[/quote]
Impossible. Te EF mount has a much longer distance from lens to sensor than m43, you cannot make the distance shorter with an adapter. An adapter could be possible but it would need lenses to correct the distance, that makes it kinda pointless (quality loss). That's why a m43 mount BMCC is quite a big deal...

Now the BMCC supports Image Stabilisation the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 or 24-70mm 2.8 might be interesting options if you want to work handheld.

Samyang is working on a 10mm prime for aps-c-sensors (non fisheye), could be interesting if you don't want/need zoom.

Another possibility is all the Nikon glass out there. The You can get a Nikon to Canon mount adaptor ring for pretty cheap. I've shot with Nikon glass on a 7D a few times. Not to mention all the legacy lenses that can be converted to Canon EF mount like Minolta, Pentax or Olympus.

One lens I've always been on the lookout for is an inexpensive 24mm f/2 or lower... f/1.4 would be dreamy. The issue I always have with the crop sensor on m4/3 is finding and equivalent to my Minolta 58mm f/1.4 @ full frame. Anyone have something like this or know of one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all. I now have a BMCC and just purchased the Canon 10-22mm.  I have mounted the lens but I can't seem to control the iris using the "fast forward" and "rewind" buttons.  I was able to use them with a Tokina lens so I know how the process works.  Any thoughts?  I am so use to aperture rings this whole new way is driving me crazy.  Any help would be appreciated. Steve

I am a big fan of the sigma 30mm with tiffen variable ND (or any vari ND for that matter) combo.

The voight 17.5, sigma 30, and rokinon 85 t1.5 will be my main lenses for the time being.

may rent a zeiss compact prime when I finally get the camera to see if it would be worth saving up for.

I was very surprised at how filmic the sigma 30 looked with my gh2, and my mouth is watering to test it with the BMCC.

I have the rokinon 35mm t 1.5, and 95% of the time I will decide to use the sigma over it. 

All of these are great lenses, but if I had only one lens to use with the BMCC I would probably go Sigma 30mm (unless I had the choice of some $3000-$50000 lenses) lol

• 1 month later...