Canon 5D mk3 locking up issue

Scott Thomas

Both my 5d Mk3's are locking up intermittently. So far I've lost two wedding ceremonies from these cameras. I'm using genuine Sandisk extreme pro 32gb cards. I'm trying now to induce the problem at home to see if I can work out what is going on. So far it seems to me that the camera may be trying to write a file larger than fat32 will allow. Times the cameras have locked up have been around the moment the camera is about to split the file and start a new file to reach the 29 min mark. When the problem happens the footage starts to skip on the display for about 3 seconds then freezes. Only taking the battery out will unfreeze the camera. The footage of the previous 12 mins is lost completely. Does any one know of a forum dealing with this problem I can join? Canon really need to do something about this ASAP. The camera is useless for events until you can trust it will not loose your footage!
Is anyone else experiencing these problems?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
This is my response from Canon about the above issue.

"[i]Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you. I am sorry to hear that your EOS 5D Mark III cameras are locking up intermittently.We are not aware that there is an issue with these Sandisk cards within the camera. If you suspect it to be the cards, I would recommend trying a different brand and or size to see if the issues persist. We are not aware in advance when new firmware and or changes are coming to the camera. Anything like this would be announced on the Canon EOS web site. I would say that if another card causes the same issue you would want to send the camera in for service. Currently we are not able to recommend one specific brand of cards over another. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you at this time.I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EOS 5D Mark III.Thank you for choosing Canon.Sincerely,[/i][i]TimothyTechnical Support Representative"[/i]

• 5 months later...
After discussing the problem of Canon 5Dmk3 suddenly freezing during filming and losing recorded files of our clients' wedding ceremonies and reception speeches at our 200-some Australian Wedding Videography forum on Facebook, I decided to step up and created a petition for Canon to draw their attention to all of us vying for the solution.

The petition is here:
http://www.change.org/petitions/canon-fix-the-canon-5dmk3-camera-freeze-and-lost-files-problem

This is not spam, please - this may be a solution to the problem outlined above.

Those affected and concerned - please join for the tide to grow.

Hi all, a message from the Canon 5Dmk3 petition creator: thanks for your attention and support.

Just one week since it was started, we are 105 strong. We are global – Australia, Canada, Finland, Germany, Indonesia, New Zealand, Thailand, UK, USA signees are in anger over losing files of wedding ceremonies, short films, or stills.

The way change.org petitions work is every time a new person signs up, an email with the petition text is sent to all those that I marked as addressees.

The PR manager of Canon Business Imaging Australia have been in touch with me since the petition was started, advising the information on the problem and the petition was sent to Canon HQ in Japan – but only once, unfortunately, and I don’t feel it is enough for our recurring troubles to disappear.

One of fellow supporters who had the freeze issue investigated by local Canon Service a year ago without success beginning of this week reported unexpected call from a Canon Service rep. He was asked a series of questions about the malfunction, told that there were only 2 cameras locally reported since, and advised of further follow up calls as internal investigation was on its way.

Despite these positive signs of interest from their side, I’ve ramped up the plea by adding to the petition 17 new emails of high-rank Canon managers that I’ve found.

If anyone of you happens to know your country email addresses of any Canon reps or local service centres, please send these through to me to maxim.drygin at gmail.com, I’ll add them to the petition as a means to increase involvement of other Canon employees into the problem that we’re eager to resolve.

Lastly, I’d like to ask everyone of you guys to sign up for the petition yourself if you’re concerned – you don’t have to have had this issue to join in if you genuinely support the idea of professional gear problem to be treated professionally – http://www.change.org/petitions/canon-fix-the-canon-5dmk3-camera-freeze-and-lost-files-problem/

Cheers
Maxim Drygin

It'd be good to see as many examples as we can from EOSHD user with full data, something like:

SIMPLE FAULT DESCRIPTION

CARD TYPE USED

FURTHER DETAILS

If you know anyone who's had the fault and encourage them to come and post perhaps we will find some parallels together.

I'm not an owner myself, but was tempted. This is concerning...