EOSHD

Welcome to the EOSHD forum. The knowledge-base for all mirrorless, DSLR and pro video cameras.

Subforums

1. ANAMORPHIC

The largest online community devoted to anamorphic filmmaking.
    Discuss lenses, adapters, workflows and post lenses for sale

Raw shooting cameras - URSA Mini 4.6K, BMCC, BMPCC and more

Screening room and the creative side of filmmaking - share your ideas / stories

5,738 topics in this forum

• 1,242 replies
    • 206 replies
    • 45 replies
    • 92 replies
    • 86 replies
    • 20 replies
    • 11 replies
    • 106 replies
    • 160 replies
    • 46 replies
    • 981 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 9 replies
    • 19 replies
    • 53 replies
    • 15 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 18 replies
    • 37 replies
    • 294 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 125 replies
  • Popular Contributors

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    John 67

• Time to step up - Panasonic GH5 must go 6K Super 35mm to compete in 2016
      Dreaming for dreaming we should take into account the revolution in sensor technology
      which is at our door step.  Pioneered by Panasonic and Fuji-film four years ago
      it is called OPF (organic photo sensor). **
      The ida is to separate a very thin continuous light-sensitive  layer
      (a compound of carbon, arsenic, and rare earth),
      from the silicon pixels which only play as electric charge collectors
      and gates to the output ; no more as light sensors.
      Panasonic announces a 3 stop increase in DR, twice the sensitivity, global shutter,
      and last but not the least sensitivity control (like the ISO choices offered by silver halide films).

After the ISSCC (International Solid-State Circuit Conference)
      held in San Francisco Jan 31 - Feb 4 2016, Albert Theuwissen wrote:
      " Sanshiro Shishido (Panasonic) presented a paper on the global shutter version
      of the organic photo conductor sensor. The top plate of the photo conductor
       is made out of ITO and needs to be biased to larger voltages.
      The overall light sensitivity of the organic photo conductor depends strongly
      on the exact voltage on the ITO gate.  A lower voltage on the gate
      lowers the light sensitivity and actually 0 V on the gate makes the sensor even blind.
       In this way one can create a global shutter functionality to the sensor \..\
      (and) has the option to modulate the sensitivity during the periods
      the sensor is sensitive by means of adapting the high voltage set to the ITO gate."

This is a real ISO modification which can control the charge accumulation
      into the silicon pixels to prevent clipping,
      There is no longer a need for any kind of neutral density filters, ever !
      (note that the so called  ISO sertting in current CMOS sensors only
      modify the pixel preamplifier gain but is located much too late in the chain.

I would consider the 'Phase AF', '5 axis IBIS' and this 'Physical Sensitivity Control'
      as the 3 must have features signaling a next gen camera from old timers. Panasonic has an ace in his hand
        ** InVisage with its Quantum sensor is running in the same race.
    • Inogeni 4K HDMI to USB 3.0
      Thanks for the info! Yeah the reviews say it's got some color and contrast issues.  I would be using it just for framing and focus. My camcorder is a JVC HM150 with a pitiful 2.8" low-res screen.  I usually drag around a 20" computer monitor when I shoot... but a 7" field monitor would be much easier! :D  The Neway CT710HO that was posted earlier looks good too.
    • Horace and Pete, and the future of distribution?
      You should seriously consider creating a course. There are probably a lot of young people that would pay to learn the secrets of youtube success. A lot of the training currently given is regarding how to emulate hollywood productions, from Tom Antos for example. But a down and dirty youtube 'sell out' course I haven't seen. I have seen courses for how to use video to sell other products, rank video etc. But not for how to create bespoke videos purely for views and ad bucks. Then again, this would take time and effort and the rewards would be once off, but you should consider it if/when your niche starts to die down. And you have already learnt the first rule of fight club; don't reveal your niche.
      What's the point? It's not like APS-C wasn't around when Panasonic and Olympus made the conscious choice to build a smaller sensor camera system. They did that so they could carve out a niche for themselves making smaller bodies and lenses for people that might like that. Now you want them to essentially conform to APS-C. Why should Panasonic build a camera that basically tells people to use third party lenses if they want the best quality out of that camera? That doesn't make much sense for them or most people who buy m43 cameras. I mean if the camera had an APS-C sensor at 24 megapixels and people using Panasonic lenses could only get say 18MP photos (or whatever the m43 crop resulted in) that kind of looks bad for Panasonic. People would be like "what do you mean I have to buy Canon lenses and an adapter to get the full resolution my camera advertises and even then it may not autofocus as well?" It's silly when you really think about it.

If you want APS-C, then buy into a different camera system. Plenty of others offer them. 
      Just seems weird to ask Panasonic to change their sensor size when you could just buy a Sony or a Canon or a Nikon and demand from them the features you want. Out of all of those, go to Nikon because they don't have eighteen plus thousand dollar cinema cameras they would have to risk cannibalizing by loading up a DSLR with cinema features. Panasonic, like Sony and Canon, do.

Plus if Panasonic can offer a 20MP sensor for stills (which we know they can) that's a perfectly great resolution. Heck the 1D XmkII shoots at 20 megapixel and the Canon 5D is around that. If they can then do a full sensor width readout of a 16:9 area and produce 4K video downsampled in camera from that, great. If Sony and Samsung can, Panasonic shouldn't be far behind. If they can increase dynamic range and offer a global shutter and compressed raw recording, even better. There are plenty of ways for them to improve without increasing sensor size.  
      It's a tricky one. They can improve the DR by lowering the read noise and 3.1 electrons is a fair bit these days. To reduce the shot noise they need to capture more Photons, but the lens f-ratio controls how many fall on the sensor - same lens, same number of Photons. You can improve the Quantum Efficiency, but 58% is really good. You can weaken the colour filters to let a bit more of other colours through. However if you make more electrons you need to make a bigger pixel to store them, which gets harder for the same surface area. I can see them improving the DR (but I don't think they will, as they will want 50p/60p which mean running it faster, which means more noise, so other improvements will get eaten up), but I think for overall noise all they can do is what people have mostly been doing, which is implement ever cleverer noise reduction in their processor. It's doable, but I don't think it'll get you to where Neat Video can get you now. Just my opinion though. Well, except the physics bits. (Edit) Should have said, they can maybe improve the DR a bit if they use the Arri/Canon way of splitting the pixels up, although I suspect that would run into a lot of patents.
  • Topics