EOSHD

Welcome to the EOSHD forum. The knowledge-base for all mirrorless, DSLR and pro video cameras.

Subforums

1. ANAMORPHIC

The largest online community devoted to anamorphic filmmaking.
    Discuss lenses, adapters, workflows and post lenses for sale

Raw shooting cameras - URSA Mini 4.6K, BMCC, BMPCC and more

Screening room and the creative side of filmmaking - share your ideas / stories

Discuss the NX1 hack and more. Share your mods. Share your tests.

6,164 in this forum

• 46 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 23 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 27 replies
    • 16 replies
    • 16 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 27 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 11 replies
    • 13 replies
    • 30 replies
    • 98 replies
    • 13 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 32 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 17 replies
    • 8 replies
The EOSHD Panasonic GH4 Shooter's Guide
The EOSHD Samsung NX1 Setup Guide
The EOSHD Sony A7R II Setup Guide and LUT Pack
The EOSHD Anamorphic Shooter's Guide - Second Edition
The EOSHD 5D Mark III Raw Shooter's Guide
The EOSHD Sony A7 Series Guide to Full Frame Lenses

• Popular Contributors

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    BaZa

• Mac OSX/ Editing Software - Poll
      Personally, I don't think it really makes much difference these days. Not sure I'd want to try and run Avid on an underpowered Macbook, but Premiere or FCPX will be fine with it. Granted, Premiere plays nicer with Nvidia/CUDA cards, and Apple only allow OpenCL AMD cards in their new Mac Pro (which FCPX is tuned for), but there's no reason why you couldn't/shouldn't run Premiere, or any NLE on a Mac. There are plenty of things that FCPX still can't do - like export an OMF, for example. There are things it is good at, but there are certain projects where I would avoid FCPX if I could. If it's the only thing you have - you've gotta work with it. The 'magnetic' or 'lack-of' timeline is both great and awful, depending on what you're doing and how you like to edit. Things that are quick in other NLEs can end up being much more difficult in FCPX. And vice versa. Simple things like fine adjustments to cross fades, or lengthening a clip that has a crossfade on it become more tedious and annoying.
    • Thinking... iMac vs. new Mac Pro
      I wonder when there will be new new Mac Pros because the current models aren't that new anymore. These questions.
    • "Organic" looking lenses
      One word: Helios.  Mir and some Takumars look sweet. Also SLR Magic.  Canon FD are very accessible, but look almost identical to their modern equivalents. 
    • One Lens?
      Not strictly true. There were two versions of the Contax Zeiss lenses: the AE variant made up to 1985 and the MM variant made from 1985-2005. Both were made in Germany and Japan - hence AEG, AEJ, MMG, MMJ - and it's the older AE models that exhibit the 'ninja star' effect you referred to, so it's this (rather than where they were made) that is the determinant of this phenomenon.
    • Mac OSX/ Editing Software - Poll
      FCP X on El Capitan. I must apologize in advance, because my postings often sound too enthusiastic when it comes to my NLE. I feel like I have to defend it when others complain that it's frustrating because of the magnetic timeline paradigm. I have been editing (mainly weddings) since 2002, and I know FCP up to FCS2 and Premiere up to CS5.5. Why FCP X? The simple answer: because I'm on a Mac. Imo it makes no sense to install Premiere on a Mac because it doesn't take full advantage of the OS and (with modern Macs) hardware. You could edit 4k video with a tiny MB with 1,1 GHz, 8 GB RAM and no dedicated graphic card using FCP X. Premiere now starts with proxy workflows as well (as I described here), and I think that's a good idea. When in FCP classic you had to always log (& capture/ & transfer), which meant you knew your footage in greater detail before you actually could start editing in the timeline. Whereas with FCP X you could start editing after import, it's not a wise thing to do. And many of those who are used to other NLEs and 'give FCP X a go' aren't wise, because they tend to skip this part. For instance, when I review freshly imported clips in the browser, I already synchronize external audio, uncheck the camera audio and mark all usable portions of clips with "f"(avorite). I then set up a smart collection with the following rules: Show synchronized clips, favorites and unused clips. Then I work from this smart collection. I don't see anything I don't want or need, and as I proceed my browser gets emptied because all used clips simply disappear. This of course is just the tip of the iceberg, not using custom tags and roles. Organizing many clips (like typically from a wedding) is a time-consuming nightmare in Premiere, and I can understand why people do that in the timeline instead of renaming, tagging or sorting things into folders. However, if I was to abandon Apple, I would go Adobe on Windows. Simply because I know it. I never touched Avid, so I can't tell. I assume it's good. We have that in common. I have always preferred JKL (even over the funky 'skimmer'), and I always learn and customize all shortcuts. Why? Because it's way faster than shoving the mouse. I type blind and just watch the image. 
  • Topics