EOSHD

Welcome to the EOSHD forum. The knowledge-base for all mirrorless, DSLR and pro video cameras.

Subforums

1. ANAMORPHIC

The largest online community devoted to anamorphic filmmaking.
    Discuss lenses, adapters, workflows and post lenses for sale

Raw shooting cameras - URSA Mini 4.6K, BMCC, BMPCC and more

Screening room and the creative side of filmmaking - share your ideas / stories

Discuss the NX1 hack and more. Share your mods. Share your tests.

6,144 in this forum

• 550 replies
    • 103 replies
    • 56 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 20 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 108 replies
    • 34 replies
    • 41 replies
    • 23 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 73 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 24 replies
    • 47 replies
    • 42 replies
    • 28 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 59 replies
    • 55 replies
    • 12 replies
The EOSHD Panasonic GH4 Shooter's Guide
The EOSHD Samsung NX1 Setup Guide
The EOSHD Sony A7R II Setup Guide and LUT Pack
The EOSHD Anamorphic Shooter's Guide - Second Edition
The EOSHD 5D Mark III Raw Shooter's Guide
The EOSHD Sony A7 Series Guide to Full Frame Lenses

• Popular Contributors

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    VDOMKR

• Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 First Impressions
      Hey guys - I haven't been here for a while so I'm not sure if the new Sigma APSC Art zoom has been discussed much yet, but I just got one yesterday and thought I'd share my first impressions. I haven't done any technical tests but I'll start by saying my first impressions are it's a superb piece of glass with the superb sharpness (even wide open), character and build quality that you've come to expect from the Art line.  However there are a few things those of you interested in adding it to your kit might like to be aware of - especially if you're thinking of it as a companion to the now classic 18-35mm 1.8. 1. It's HEAVY, and pretty big. The 18-35mm feels like a modest MFT lens next to it! It's not exceptionally long but it's got a lot more heft to it and is quite front heavy, meaning it's probably a bit unweildy on a hybrid camera. On my C100 Mark II it's OK to hand hold, but only just. 2. Focus breathing is EXTREME. Personally this isn't a big problem for me but it does impose a certain style on your focus pulls, so if you don't like that look take note. It's going to take a bit of getting used to for me. 3. While the 18-35mm has minimal focus breathing it is not parfocal, which can be annoying at times. The 50-100mm however appears to be parfocal (or at least very close to it). I don't know if trading breathing for focus consistency was an intentional choice by Sigma, but it is another difference to the wider zoom. 4. I read somewhere that it was effectively as quiet when autofocusing as an STM lens. This is not the case at all - not with my copy anyway. It's at least as noisy as the 18-35. Of course this is only really an issue if you're using it on a Canon DAF camera or a6300. The 18-35mm has been my go-to lens on my BMPCC and GH4 (with their respective speedboosters) for a while now. The relatively compact size of the lens was a big part of this. Now I use a C100 size is not such an issue, but if you're hoping the 50-100 will make a great partner for the 18-35 on a smaller camera as a full walk-around "prime" kit, you may be disappointed. It's so heavy in fact that Sigma's included lens case comes with a shoulder strap! Even on the C100 I'm going to be using it on a tripod most of the time, as the longer, front-heavy focal length makes footage pretty shaky. Of course the flipside of this is that the extra weight helps with reducing micro jitters and with a bit of practice focusing and holding it, it may be useable handheld.  I'm happily holding on to the lens because the image quality is superb, it's made really nicely and the convenience of having prime image quality (minus the breathing) in two modestly sized zooms is invaluable for my work. In most cases I'll be using the 50-100mm as a portrait lens for interviews, so in general it will be on sticks and this negates the weight issue. It's by no means so huge and heavy I don't want to put it in my kit bag.  If you want to keep your kit small and think you'll get by with one or two fixed focal length lenses and value compactness and ease of handling, I'd weigh up the pro's of sticking to primes before shelling out $1000 for the 50-100mm.  
    • NX1 Workflow - Best Image?
      Thanks GEOFF...been all over that thread.  I'm actually more concerned with what people do once they are done shooting...no in-camera stuff.  What export settings, straight from 4K to 1080p, edit 4k then export 1080p, etc...   Post-shooting, what is your workflow?
    • Panasonic GX80 - 5 Axis IBIS works on video!
      Unless the technical specification given for the gh4 is incorrect. And if the gh4 uses a native qhd crop then it mathematically must be 2.5 crop.  The 2.3 was a mistake that was parroted.
    • Blackmagic URSA Mini - $2995 - official thread
      There's no doubt that they know it's there, they just haven't made an official statement of the cause or remedy. THere's an overall magenta cast that is totally fine, and is easy to fix with a tint slider (which they're adding in firmware 4.0). At first they thought that people were complaining about the overall cast but that's not the issue for some. I bet in the next couple of weeks BM will make some kind of statement.
  • Topics